17-4PH stainless steel is a precipitation hardened martensitic stainless steel. It is a combination of chromium, nickel, copper, and niobium that gives it a unique combination of properties. It is corrosion-resistant, strong, and easy to machine. It is also resistant to heat and stress-corrosion cracking. This makes it an ideal choice for castings when a combination of strength and corrosion resistance is needed.
|17-4 PH Stainless Steel Composition|
Why Choose 17-4 PH Stainless Steel
The high nickel and chromium content provide excellent corrosion resistance and strength. The addition of copper also increases the strength and hardness. It is also easily machinable and weldable.
- High Strength & Corrosion Resistance
- High Hardness & Tensile Strength
- Excellent Fatigue Resistance
- Good Weldability
- Good Ductility & Formability
- Easy to Machine
If you want to learn the difference between 17-4 PH and 304, you can read this article.
Process of 17-4 Stainless Steel Casting
17-4 PH stainless steel castings are produced using investment casting or sand casting processes. Investment casting is the preferred process due to its high accuracy and surface finish. The process involves pouring molten 17-4 PH stainless steel into a ceramic mold, which is then allowed to cool to form the casting. Sand casting is also used to produce 17-4 PH stainless steel castings, but it is not as accurate or as precise as investment casting.
- Make a 3D model to create a mold.
- Injecting wax into the mold to create wax models, examining and altering the designs if there are any issues.
- Assemble wax patterns into wax tree.
- Covering the wax with a ceramic glaze to form a shell.
- Heating the ceramic shell to remove the wax.
- Pouring in the melting shell.
- Breaking off the shell, and then employing shot blasters or conducting other surface treatments.
SIPX Casting is very skilled at custom 17-4 ph stainless steel investment castings for a variety of applications, including oil & gas industry, food processing equipment, aerospace parts, chemical processing equipment, etc. As the top leading stainless steel casting manufacturer in China, our company can customize 17-4 ph stainless steel castings in different sizes and shapes.